[From now on, abbreviated W13. Just because I’m lazy.]
I’m not a big fan of this show. I like it, but apparently not enough to watch it live or soon after it airs. For example, I finally watched the Sep 17th episode, “Second Chance” last night. (Only 5 days late.) And yet, I tend to enjoy most of the episodes (to varying degrees). With “Second Chance” I actually enjoyed the B Team (Claudia and Steve) more than Pete and Myka. Probably because their “investigation” was much more personal and poignant. And Laura Innes (from ER) played Steve’s mother. Good casting!
What I like about this year:
- Brent Spiner! Without being a caricature! Warehouse 13’s best villain since Roger Rees (whom I still miss).
- Joanne Kelly’s curly hair. I found her straight locks distracting last year.
- Genelle Williams (Leena) seems to be getting more screen time.
What I’m not crazy about:
- The return of H.G. Wells. Probably because I don’t like Jaime Murray. I first saw her (and her breasts) on Dexter. I disliked the character so much, I’ve probably transferred it to the actor. Plus, I just don’t trust H.G.
- Pete’s become a buffoon. Ok, he always was one, but now it seems we have to be reminded of it several times per episode. Plus, I don’t find him sexy enough to warrant all the shirtless scenes this year.
- I hated Claudia’s obsession with bringing Steve back to life so much that I had to fast-forward through the metronome scene. However, the pay off in “Second Chance” was quite rewarding (even if Aaron Ashmore can’t cry real tears). But I’m a sap like that.
I’m wondering if the Claudia/Steve pairing is upstaging Pete and Myka. I’m not feeling the hint of attraction between Pet and Myka that I did in the first 2 seasons. Since Claudia and Steve aren’t a romantic couple, could the show survive two platonic couples? Well, the Law & Order franchise thrived with it, so it might work.