We interrupt this Supernatural review-a-thon to bring you a “Sunday Seven” based on my other favorite sci fi show.
Cartoon Network is showing reruns of DreamWorks Dragons: Riders of Berk nearly every day. If you haven’t seen this award-winning series, I highly recommend you catch up. Although it’s classified as a children’s show, just like the movie, there’s something for everyone.
The series picks up shortly after the end of How to Train Your Dragon. Now that the Vikings of Berk are no longer killing dragons, living with them takes some getting used to. Along the way, we watch Stoic and Hiccup become truly father and son. What are my favorite episodes? I thought you’d never ask.
- Animal House (103). The farm animals have to learn to live with the dragons before a severe storm sets in. Toothless leads the other dragons to protect the humans and animals when they get caught in the storm.
- The Terrible Twos (104). Hiccup discovers a little dragon of unknown species, who causes all sorts of problems for Toothless. Toothless appears to be jealous, but he’s actually trying to help everyone, including the new little guy. (I loved this episode so much, I did a previous Sunday Seven on it.)
- How to Pick Your Dragon (107). Stoic gets a dragon of is own, but not before riding Toothless ragged.
- Portrait of Hiccup as a Buff Man (108). A inaccurate portrait of Chief and son leads Hiccup to believe Stoic would prefer a more Viking-like son. To prove himself, Hiccup and friends set off in search of a legendary treasure.
- Thawfest (112). For the first time in history, Hiccup has a chance at beating Snotlout in the annual Thawfest games. But, as Astrid notes, Hiccup is not a very gracious winner.
- When Lightening Strikes (113). Homes on Berk are being crushed by the weight of dragons sitting on roofs. After building iron perches, Berk is besieged by severe lightening strikes. The townsfolk believe the Night Fury is the cause, and force Toothless to leave the island.
- Breakneck Bog (117). When Trader Johann is late in bringing something important to Stoic, Hiccup and the gang go in search of it. Hiccup learns the package is actually for him, from his mother. However, the package is trapped on Breakneck Bog, home of the fabled Fog Monster.