The Flash pulled off a terrific casting coup (again!) by reuniting Wentworth Miller and Dominic Purcell. I never watched Prison Break, but understood their relationship was what made the show a success. (Much like Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki make Supernatural.) Allowing them to play off each other as Captain Cold and Heat Wave was genius, and it makes them a great pair of villains.
Among the regular cast, nearly every character is interesting. Their well-defined and continue to grow and evolve. How did they stack up this week?
1. Cisco: Hamilton Wells let him out of the lab and in front of the police force. Not only did he demonstrate the new cold-preventing shield, he also fielded the tough questions with aplomb. Nary a joke in sight. Captain Captain Singh even shook his hand.
2. Caitlin: In recent episodes she’s helped Barry with his girl woes, alternately chastising and encouraging him as necessary. Here, she stepped out of the lab to research the FIRESTORM angle. And she was kidnapped. It was a nice change of pace to draw Barry out with Caitlin vice Iris. Plus? “My dead fiance can fly.”
3. Barry: Hey, he is the star of the show, so why isn’t he higher? After losing his focus (how much of it was brain-washing by Harrison Wells?), he realizes what’s truly important. His talk with Iris doesn’t move the relationship anywhere except to back to where it was, but there’s one shot of Grant Gustin where he actually looks like he’s over the legal drinking age.
4. Joe: Joe knows that Barry’s lack of focus was likely induced by Dr. Wells, so once again his spidey-sense (or parental concern) has been alerted. Given last month’s Big Reveal, I look forward to some good detective work. On the home front, Barry moves back in with Joe. Maybe we’ll get to hear Grant Gustin and Jessie L. Martin sing together. (Since my Law & Order dream of a Jesse Martin/Jerry Orbach duet never happened.)
5. Harrison Wells: There’s got to be more to the story with the Reverse Flash! Right? Why else did Wells’ prepare to rescue Barry when it looked like Cisco’s missiles had done him in? My mind has begun its boggling
6. Eddie: Eddie saved the Flash! Aww.
7. Captain Singh: His first concern is for his officers (as it should be), and he shook Cisco’s hand. 🙂
8. Iris: Poor Iris, relegated to love interest/coffee house waitress. Didn’t they say in the pilot she was a Ph.D. candidate? Why can’t we have two intelligent young women on one show? I’m sure Candice Patton could handle the challenge.
All in all, a terrific way to come back from the winter hiatus.