I know I said I was going to cover iZombie this season, but this episode “Grumpy Old Liv,” left me uninspired. So much so, I wasn’t going to write about it. As it is, it’s taken me almost a week to post.
What did you think? Did you feel the season premiere was a little dull, too? Perhaps it’s because a so much time was spent building the over-arching scenarios for season 2; you know, much like series pilots are exposition-heavy by necessity. We had to learn that Liv’s brother Evan survived, but wants nothing to do with her because she refused to donate her blood (like they’d take it anyway); that Blaine now runs a funeral home-slash-Utopia den; and that cured zombies (all two of them*) have a spidey-sense. for zombies *Oops, I take that back. There are three cured zombies—I forgot zombie-rat.
My friend Natalie’s fear for the potential ruination of sweet Major Lilywhite seems to be coming true. Not only has he become Max Rager’s hit man, he’s still Clive’s #1 suspect for the Meat Cute (God, I hate that name!) massacre. And Clive is nothing if not dogged. Of course, Major was responsible, but these were very bad people. And since zombies are already dead (according to the title song), does it really count as homicide? Regardless, poor Major.
David Anders must never ever do a Jimmy Stewart impression again. Granted, I did just watch The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance last week, so the real Jimmy Stewart voice is still fresh in my mind. But that was terrible! The only reason I knew it was a Jimmy Stewart impression was because close-captioning said so.
The Flash also debuted its second season last week. Again, I was a underwhelmed. Here are some of my idle thoughts on “The Man who Saved Central City” (since I can’t do a post without making a list):
- Tom Cavanagh is still listed as a series regular. (Rick Cosnett isn’t, but was under the guest star list.) Is Harrison Wells/Reverse Flash going to continue to appear in video messages to Barry throughout the season?
- Joe and wee Barry were the best! I don’t care if the show is filled with “too many” sappy moments. Maybe someday I will, but not today.
- Dr. Stein made a joke and named a villain! Atom Smasher. Of course, he had to explain it to everyone else, and these are really smart people. Or maybe he was just explaining it to us. Cisco was so proud!
- It’s a tie for biggest surprise. Ronnie Raymond died. Again. Poor Caitlin. And Henry Allen was released from jail. I didn’t see either of those coming. But John Wesley Shipp will not be joining the regular cast.
- I caught that nod to Batman. I imagine everyone did.
- I don’t know who Zoom is.
- I do know who Jay Garrick is! (I’m so proud of myself.) The actor playing him is exactly what I imagined… Holy cow! IMDB tells me it’s Teddy Sears! I didn’t recognize him with his longer hair. Cool!
Were you more inspired than I was? What did you like best? Least?